Endoscopic clip helps achieve hemostasis
• Endoscopic clip helps achieve hemostasis—Boston Scientific's Resolution? Clip is a preloaded, 11-mm-wide endoscopic mechanical clip used to control upper and lower GI bleeding, a potentially serious surgical complication. The clip can be opened and closed up to five times prior to deployment. In addition to lowering the rebleeding rate, clips may cause less tissue reaction. Endoscopists traditionally achieve endoscopic hemostasis using a combination of injection therapy and electrocautery. Electrocautery, however, has been associated with complications such as recurrent bleeding and delayed ulcer healing. Alternatively, endoscopic hemostasis can be achieved with mechanical clips alone or in conjunction with injection therapy. The Resolution Clip, when used with injection therapy, has been demonstrated to reduce or eliminate the need for electrocautery and dramatically reduce chances of rebleeding.
Boston Scientific www.boston scientific.com/endoscopy
• Surgical blades reduce tissue drag and provide smooth?cuts—Personna Medical offers the Personna Plus? Surgeon's Blade, which features an exclusive Micro Coated? cutting edge, designed to glide with smooth, clean precision. Shaped by precise grinding technology, the Personna Plus sterile blade decreases tissue trauma, which promotes faster healing. The Personna Plus blade is available on Personna Plus Disposable Scalpels, Personna Safety Scalpels, and on the Personna Plus Safety Scalpel system, and it comes in all popular surgery sizes. The Personna Plus Safety Scalpel?System includes reusable metal handles with the same weight and feel as traditional scalpels?and?a disposable blade cartridge.
Personna Medical www.asrco.com/medical_landing.aspx
• Monitor offers HD image quality in the OR—Sony Electronics has introduced the LMD-2450MD 24" HD monitor, which offers 10-bit signal processing and Sony ChromaTRU? color-balance technology for ultra performance. This medical-grade, widescreen LCD monitor displays a 1920 x 1080 full HD signal, enabling the purest reproduction of images captured by today's HD surgical cameras. The LMD-2450MD provides outstanding HD image quality, detail, and clarity, with advanced color space conversion and white balance calibration technology, ensuring vivid and accurate colors. The LMD-2450MD is designed to be mounted on surgical carts and features boom arms for desktop operation with the optional SU-560 stand. It can be integrated into almost any system environment and is compatible with nearly all surgical camera systems. Common picture controls are conveniently located on the panel's front bezel and feature touch-activated backlighting. The monitor has several new functions, such as an Ethernet remove and multiformat picture display, including picture-in-picture and side-by-side. The monitor has up to 20 different user function settings, allowing surgeons to program their personal preferences.
Sony (800) 535-SONY www.sony.com/medical
• Adhesion barrier for pelvic and abdominal surgery—Seprafilm? Adhesion Barrier, by Genzyme Biosurgery, was designed for pelvic and abdominal surgery. This sterile, bioresorbable membrane is comprised of two chemically modified polymers (sodium hyaluronate and carboxymethylcellulose) and has been used in over 1 million patients over 10 years of clinical use. Postoperative adhesions may increase the complexity of any subsequent surgery. Seprafilm reduces the incidence, extent, and severity of postoperative adhesions between the abdominal wall and the underlying viscera and between the uterus and surrounding structures. Seprafilm is intended for use following open abdominal or pelvic surgery, serving as a site-specific, temporary adhesion barrier that physically separates tissues and organs during healing. Approximately 24 to 48 hours after placement, the Seprafilm membrane becomes a gel that is slowly resorbed by the body within 7 days, the critical tissue-healing period. Clinical trials have demonstrated that Seprafilm is safe and effective for a wide range of surgical applications.
Genzyme Biosurgery (800) 261-1570 www.seprafilm.com
• Crocs? footwear fit for the OR—Crocs, Inc recently introduced two new shoe models"--"the Specialist and Specialist Vent"--"to the market. These shoes are designed to meet workplace standards with a closed heel and toe design. Constructed of Croslite? material, the shoes conform to the foot and create a custom fit. They also feature a thicker metatarsal area to help protect the top of the foot and have footbed circulation nubs and a supportive arch to ensure all-day comfort. Additionally, the loose fit of the shoes allows the foot to bend and expand naturally, reducing fatigue. The shoes are odor and bacteria resistant and can be sterilized using clean water and bleach. The new Crocs shoes are available in black, chocolate, fuchsia, khaki, light blue, navy, sea blue, and white.
Crocs, Inc (866) 306-3179 visit www.crocs.com
does not endorse any products. All claims made are those of the manufacturers. For more detailed information, refer to package inserts or contact the firm.