Each year, travel magazines and sites release their lists of the best in travel. More than 300,000 readers and users of CondÃ© Nast Traveler (CNT) submitted reviews of their favorite destinations, hotels, resorts, cruises, and more.
Each year, travel magazines and sites release their lists of the best in travel. More than 300,000 readers and users of Condé Nast Traveler (CNT) submitted reviews of their favorite destinations, hotels, resorts, cruises, and more. Most of CNT followers are typically well-heeled and world-hopping — so their opinions are worth a read.
To inspire your travels, consider the top 15 cities in the world, as chosen by CNT:
1. Tokyo, Japan
- Traditional as well as innovative, Tokyo, notes CNT, has more Michelin stars than any other place in the world. The city is a foodie paradise.
2. Kyoto, Japan
- The formerly Imperial City combines a plethora of temples and shrines while also offering nearly 100 Michelin-starred restaurants. In spring, when the thousands of cherry trees bloom, the city is spectacular.
3. Florence, Italy
- Florence, CNT notes, “remains unrivaled in history, art, and architecture.” Plus, there are great cooking schools such as the one helmed by celebrity chef Arturo Dori.
4. Lucerne, Switzerland
- Lakeside and lovely, Lucerne is “storybook Swiss,” says CNT. The Alps are visible from the town, which has Europe’s oldest covered bridge.
5. San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
- A Gothic cathedral, tree-lined courtyards, and cobblestone streets combine to make this colonial-era city a standout.
6. Vancouver, Canada
- The ethnically diverse city features tall hemlocks and cedar trees in Stanley Park, a great city oasis, plus lots of interesting restaurants.
7. Victoria, BC, Canada
- A pretty city of gardens and mansions, Victoria also offers kayaking and other outdoor adventures.
8. Salzburg, Austria
- A picturesque city, the Salzach River divides the Old City from the 19th century city.
9. Barcelona, Spain
- In Barcelona, you can find beaches, history, art, and interesting architecture, including the modern Catalan creations of Antoni Gaudí.
10. Vienna, Austria
- In Vienna, explore the Museum Quarter, the Belvedere Palace, and the elaborate Schönbrunn Palace.
11. Paris, France
- Stroll the Luxembourg Gardens and visit The Louvre, Musée Rodin, Centre Pompidou, and Notre-Dame.
12. Sydney, Australia
- In our winter (Australia’s summer), enjoy Bondi, Manly, and Redleaf beaches.
13. London, England
- Mix seeing the classic icons — Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London – with immersing yourself in the city’s blossoming foodie and cocktail bar scene.
14. Melbourne, Australia
- Browse Melbourne’s galleries and contemporary art museums.
15. Rome, Italy
- See the Pantheon and the Colosseum, stroll the busy streets, and revive yourself with espresso at a café.