- Extramacular drusen are commonly observed in eyes with age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Data from AREDS2 suggest extramacular drusen are more frequent with an increased drusen burden observed within the macula.
- Extramacular drusen may not have additional risk in the progression from intermediate AMD to late AMD.
- Investigators observed extramacular drusen represented a small area (< 0.5 mm2) in approximately half of eyes.
- Eyes with extramacular drusen exhibited larger macular drusen size and area compared to eyes without extramacular drusen (P <.001).
- Extramacular drusen were not associated with progression to late AMD.