The newest version of Facebook for BlackBerry offers some major feature upgrades, including the ability to integrate e-mail inboxes.
If Facebook is your social networking weapon of choice, RIM has some good news for you. The newest version of Facebook for BlackBerry offers some major feature upgrades, including the ability to integrate e-mail inboxes.
Most people have multiple e-mail accounts and inboxes to manage. Research In Motion is now offering Facebook fanatics a better way to manage messages with Facebook for BlackBerry 1.5. This new version of the software's key feature includes the ability to incorporate Facebook status updates, comments and e-mails directly into your BlackBerries inbox.
• Receive instant notifications on your BlackBerry smartphones home screen.
• Send/receive message or wall posts, pokes and friend requests.
• Update your status, view and comment on your friends’ status.
• Share photos from your BlackBerry smartphone with tags/comments and post to Facebook with just one click.
• Connect your Facebook friends with your BlackBerry Address Book — including profile picture integration which brings a whole new meaning to caller ID.
• Stay on top of your life with birthday reminders and event integration into your BlackBerry Calendar.
I downloaded the new application to test it out. When you receive a new message from Facebook, you'll see the message in your e-mail inbox clearly marked with a new icon that stands out compared to regular e-mails. This lets you quickly determine which messages are real e-mails and which are coming directly from Facebook.
Perhaps the other biggest new feature of the software is the ability to comment on contacts' status updates and Wall posts. Previously, that capability was absent. This makes the application more interactive while you're on the go. One thing I did notice, is that the software ran a little slow on my BlackBerry Storm. Other than that, it works well.
The application is free. You can reach a link to the download here, or type in www.blackberry.com/facebook in your BlackBerry's browser.